Swim Program Policy
Tips For Parents
Relax and watch. When confronted with fearful situations, children tend to collapse emotionally in the presence of their parents. As difficult as it is to accept, in stressful situations, children generally fare better when parents are not available as a crutch. We are experienced in calming distressed children and you can confidently leave your child in our hands and exit to our glassed observation area. You may need to move entirely out of the line of sight, as even eye contact can trigger an emotional collapse.
No parents on deck. While you are welcome to escort your child on deck for the first lesson only, please give him/her a quick hug and kiss and let them know you’ll be watching them so “have fun and listen to your teacher”.
Please respect our teaching levels. In our competitive American culture, the impulse to push a child is powerful. Please resist the seduction of “fast-tracking”. Don’t get caught up in which level your child is in. With small ratios of students to instructors, our classes can accommodate small differences. Years of experience with thousands of children has taught us that the potentially negative learning attitudes caused by “pressures to learn” as a child, don’t manifest themselves until later on. By the time your child is in Jr. High School, he/she will either “love to learn” or will be “anxious about learning”, displaying an “I can’t” attitude or an apathetic “I don’t care” attitude. So be wise in these early years, especially before 2nd grade, please allow your child to learn in a relaxed atmosphere.
The following policies and procedures are in place so we can provide a quality environment that is clean, safe and pleasant for all program participants.
- For the safety and security of all of our children, there is absolutely NO PHOTOGRAPHY or TAKING VIDEOS of any lessons (no exceptions). On the last day of each lesson session you may request special permission to take a limited amount of photos of your child in the water. You will be required to fill out and sign an authorization form which will be available at the front desk on that day. If you are unsure which day that is, please ask a staff member. Otherwise, unauthorized photography of minors on Calphin premises will be taken as a very serious offense.
- Please arrive at least 10 minutes prior to when the lesson starting time is, on the day(s) of your lesson. Late students are a disruption to any class and end up taking away focus in the lesson group.
- Adults/legal guardians must supervise their child(ren)/minor dependents in the facility at all times (when not with an instructor in the water).
- Please treat other guests and the staff with courtesy and respect. Negative remarks about club guests or personnel are not tolerated. Inappropriate behavior or disruptions may result in ejection from the club and revoking of guest privileges.
- No solicitation of members or guests by other members/guests is permitted without prior written approval of the management.
- Merchandise purchased at the club may be returned for credit only; no refunds.
- A $25 service fee will be charged for returned checks or drafts.
- Please make sure your swimmer wears properly accessible footwear in the pool deck area. They will need to wear these shoes whenever they leave the deck, even if it is temporary (such as visiting the locker-rooms or drinking fountains).
- Proper swim suit is mandatory in the swimming pool. Swim cap is required for all swimmers with hair longer than 4 inches.
- Remove ALL band-aids and adhesive bandages before entering the pool. There is no disposable product that is guaranteed to stay on your swimmer in the water for any length of time. Anyone swimming with an open wound (with or without a bandage) exposes all swimmers in the pool to unnecessary health risks. Swimmers with any cuts, scrapes or other injuries that have been recently, or are currently, will not be allowed in the pool. No make-ups will be assigned.
- Absolutely no chewing gum, candy, cough drops or other consumables are allowed in the pool area. Please make sure your child has disposed of these properly before beginning the lesson.
- It is recommended that all swimmers use the on-deck showers to rinse off before entering the pool (located near the deck exit door). The manager will address unsatisfactory hygiene(corrective action may be requested).
- Clothing, gear and shoes not related to use in the pool must be kept in lockers. This includes street shoes (not used on the deck), any clothes not intended to be worn in the pool and any personal items. Please leave all valuables at home. The club is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Loose jewelry or any extraneous body accessories can not be worn in the pool or deck area. These items will interfere with our instructors’ hands on approach and also may damage the filtration system if lost.
Fecal contamination in or around a pool poses a serious health risk to all using the facility. When an accident occurs, the Health Department requires that we close our pool in the event of bodily fluid contamination. We are forced to shut down operations for an extended period of time to properly clean and sanitize our facility. We are trying to reduce the spread of disease and inconvenience to swimmers whose lessons are cancelled. For the health and safety of our swimmers and instructors, please follow the following guidelines:
PLEASE READ THESE GUIDELINES CAREFULLY!
- Children who are not 100% potty trained must wear a disposable diaper and a reusable swim diapers (i.e. plastic swim diapers) under their swim suits.
- Our definition of potty trained is: A child who has the capacity to know when they need to use the restroom and will ask to be let out of the pool to go to the bathroom. If your child is not quite there, please put them in a reusable swim diaper.
- Parents may not bring a child to swim class if the child is experiencing intestinal distress, or has had any symptoms of diarrhea within 36 hours.
- If a child has an accident in the pool, they will not be allowed to return that day. Their swim diaper must be properly disinfected, with bacteria-killing disinfectants. no make-up day for this class will be scheduled, a self-practice ticket will be issued instead.
- In the event a child has an accident, is potty trained, did not ask to use the restroom, and is not wearing a swim diaper, there will be a $250 fine.
- Parents are expected to dispose of soiled swim diapers in the proper containers.
- Parents are expected to assist in cleaning leakage from contaminated areas, i.e. decks, changing tables, showers, toilets, dressing room, etc. The SCSC staff will follow up by cleaning and disinfecting the entire pool area and pool.
- In the event a child has an accident while wearing a swim diaper under their swim suit, he/she will be required to wear two plastic swim diapers over their suit in the future.
- If a potty-trained child has an accident and fails to communicate the need to use the restroom, they will be required to wear a swim diaper under their swim suit until suitable communication is established.
- If a parent has taken all the necessary precautions and an accident occurs, we will not levy the fine.
- If a student is prone to experiencing a gag reflex, we request that the student not eat at least two hours prior to participation in swim lessons and that parents exercise caution with liquids before class.
- If a student vomits in the pool, the student may not return to class that same day, no make-up day for this class will be scheduled, a self-practice ticket will be issued instead.
Due to NO makeup class, we offer Self Practice time for swimmers who missed their class, so they can practice what they have learned by themselves. No swim instructors will be available during this practice time, but a lifeguard will be on duty. It is open to all current registered swimmers who miss a lesson. Each swimmer may receive up to 2 free tickets for a missed class in each session at front desk, and $4.00 for other registered swimmers who want to practice their swimming skills by themselves. All swimmers who are in Intermediate I class or lower must swim with an adult. Beginner I or lower leveled swimmers are restricted to the Small Training pool only. We charge $4.00 for each adult to accompany any swimmer in the water. We only allow 50 swimmers in each Self Practice time (12 for the Small Pool, 38 for the Large pool), on a first come, first serve basis.
Hours for Self Practice:
- Monday - 8:00-9:00PM
- Wednesday - 8:00-9:00PM
- Sunday - 12:00-1:00PM
Credits and Refunds
The registration minimum is 4 students for all levels of swim lessons (2 for Bubbler /30min lesson). The Calphin Aquatic Club will make every effort to combine or reschedule classes with low enrollment. Please be aware that your class may be cancelled if enrollment is low and in that case a credit or refund will be issued. Also note the following policies concerning any changes to a class:
- No Refund, Make ups, or Credits after 1st day of the class.
- Self practice will be available for missed classes.
- Bounced check subjected to $25 charge.
- First time rescheduling a class time is free in each session, but there is a $20 processing fee for each subsequent reschedule of a class.
- There is $20 processing fee for each transfer request after the first day of the program.
- A WRITTEN and SIGNED MEDICAL EXCUSE is required for any cancellation. Credit will be issued for the pro-rated amount, for the remaining lessons in the session, based upon the date Calphin Aquatic Club RECEIVES THE WRITTEN PHYSICIAN’S MEMO (retroactive requests cannot be granted, as it eliminates our opportunity to fill the vacated class spot).
Once enrolled, your child has a reserved class time. Make sure you have booked your child in a class that fits your schedule. Please understand that the instructor is there to teach your child, even if you do not come to class. In the event a class needs to be cancelled due to pool conditions, mechanics, or unforeseen circumstances, we will make every effort to contact you prior to your class time. In order to help us, please make sure to follow the guidelines stated below:
- Please make sure that we have at least one reliable phone number on file that we can contact you with in case of an emergency pool closure. Notify us immediately if your phone numbers change.
- Credit will not be given for pool closures. In the event of a pool closure, we will arrange a partial make-up lesson for the lessons effected by the closure.
We strive to maintain instructor consistency for our students. There are, however, occasions when instructors may have extended leave of absences, resign, have conflicting school schedules or other personal situations that create the need to replace the instructor. Often these situations are beyond our control. We will do everything possible to make a smooth transition for your child.
A 1-on-1 Private or 1-on-2 Semi-Private lesson is only available at an instructor’s discretion. Most of our instructors offering private lesson time are teaching group lessons or otherwise committed for most of their working days. Hence when scheduling a private lesson, you must be prepared to be flexible when deciding the specific time(s) and day(s) that the lesson will be held. Also due to this fact, we cannot guarantee specific instructors will be available for private instruction at any given time, however we usually are able to accommodate a preference for a specifically gendered instructor. Once a private lesson session has been confirmed and paid for, we have a strict rescheduling policy for any missed lessons. If any lesson is not rescheduled a minimum of 24hr in advance, we have to charge for the missed lesson. This is due to the fact that we have to pay for our committed resources including the coach who is committed for the lesson.
Special Club Credit Policy for Our Summer Swim Programs Only:
If you want to enroll in our summer swim programs and you know (or can reasonably anticipate) at the time of enrollment that you will miss any swim lessons, we will offer you club credit (equal to the amount that was paid) valid for the fall program of the same year only (immediately following the summer session for which the credit is issued). However you and your swimmer must meet at least one of the following conditions in order to be eligible for the credit:
- You will miss 3 to 5 consecutive lessons per session. If you miss 1~2, then the self practice tickets will be offered as usual, in lieu of credit. If you miss six lessons (50+%) or more per session, you should not enroll that session.
- Swim lessons missed due to a vacation.
- Swim lessons missed due to a monthly biological cycle(period), for female swimmers only.
- Swim lessons missed due to an illness, with a doctor’s memo signed by your physician.
To redeem your credits, you must provide paperwork legitimizing this condition to our staff. First, you must email us to clubcr@Calphin.com, notifying us of your lesson starting date and the number of the swim lessons that will be missed before the session starts or with sufficiently advanced notice prior to the missed lesson. Secondly, you must ask our staff to provide you a verification email of the lesson dates you actually miss after fact. Third, you must submit hardcopies of the above two emails and any other paper-trail at the time of your fall enrollment in order to redeem your credits.